Top Posts
Study shows floods linked to climate change hit...
Study shows existing insurance system falls short against...
President Samia says climate change eroding African livelihoods
UN member states urged to fulfil climate change...
US pressures Vanuatu over ICJ’s historic climate change...
Simon Stiell says climate action can deliver stability...
Climate Change center raises concern over sharp climatic...
Government validates national adaptation plan to address climate...
Study shows climate change impact on Agriculture
Swedish youth sue government over inability to address...
EcoNai Newsroom
  • Newsround
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • World
World

DR Congo postpones rainforest oil auctions

by Matthew Eloyi February 1, 2023
written by Matthew Eloyi February 1, 2023
1K

Plans by the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) to permit oil corporations to drill in its peatlands and rainforests have been put on hold.

On Monday, January 30, the government was supposed to reveal which businesses were vying to drill for oil in 27 different areas of the DRC. However, hydrocarbons minister Didier Budimbu tweeted on the Saturday before the deadline that the cutoff points had been moved to several periods between April and October 2023.

Due to their proximity to the Cuvette Centrale rainforest and peatlands of the nation, three of these oil blocks are highly contentious. The due dates for these have been moved to July and August.

Read also: Stakeholders brainstorm on improving Nigeria’s energy transition plan

While peatland stores carbon below, rainforests absorb a significant amount of it. By draining the water from peatlands, the peat becomes more flammable and thirteen of the border of the block protected areas, including the national park in Virunga are home to the endangered mountain gorilla.

A spokesperson for Greenpeace Africa, Tal Harris, said: “Whatever the reason for the DRC to reschedule its oil auction, the Congolese government should use it to close the chapter on its fossil horror story and offer an alternative story of hope”.

He said that investments in “clean, renewable and decentralised” energy solutions can end energy poverty and protect the planet.

“Communities and wildlife in designated oil blocks need to live in peace without the looming threat of the rainforest being sold to the highest bidder,” he added.

Story was adapted from Climate Home News.

CongoDelayOil auctionsRainforest
0 comment 0 FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
admineconai

previous post
Flood-devastated region in Auckland suffers more heavy rain
next post
Masdar targets Nigeria in its 20,000MW renewable energy plan for Africa

Related Posts

Study shows floods linked to climate change hit...

February 18, 2026

UN member states urged to fulfil climate change...

February 16, 2026

US pressures Vanuatu over ICJ’s historic climate change...

February 16, 2026

Simon Stiell says climate action can deliver stability...

February 16, 2026

Study shows climate change impact on Agriculture

February 9, 2026

Swedish youth sue government over inability to address...

February 6, 2026

Oxford study shows almost half of world’s population...

January 27, 2026

Report shows extreme weather has cost the US...

January 27, 2026

EU faces a €70 billion annual bill to...

January 27, 2026

Report shows 55 weather disasters costing a billion...

January 27, 2026

Leave a Comment Cancel Reply

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

Newsletter

Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Let's stay updated!

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin
  • Bloglovin
  • Vimeo

@2021 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Eco-Nai+

EcoNai Newsroom
  • Newsround
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • World